A lesson plan that could use technology in a lower elementary school classroom could be learning multiplication. This would probably be a third grade class. The teacher would have to teach the basics of multiplication first, but could then use a drill and practice program in the computer lab to give her students practice.
Some concerns that I would have supervising the use of the internet in my classroom would be that I plan on teaching early grades in elementary school. The use of the internet might not be desireable for such young students. It might be very difficult to keep students this young on track with all of the information available online. Another concern would be filtering waht kind of information the students have access to. It would be important to ensure that there is a filtering system in place so that the students don't accidentally come across inappropriate information.
I found a fun website for teaching math to kids. It has different games, flashcards, and other ways to pratice. I also liked it because you can set the games to practice either addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division, or all of them together. You can also program the difficulty level. The website is http://citl.hbg.psu.edu/vlibrary/Reish/vlibraryar.htm
Blog Journal #10 prompts
16 years ago
You seem to be interested in teaching math skills to the young ones, and I commend you for such an undertaking! Creatively working in different ways to get these basic facts in their minds is very important, and will make the information more memorable for the students.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you concerning the attention span and appreciation if the Internet at a young elementry age. Students who are that young may find an onliline drill fun the first couple times they play, but after their attention may divert to the distraction of others. Another site that I used to help students who were having trouble with simple math, i.e. multiplication, division, addition, and subtraction, is mathmastery.com. Good Luck
ReplyDelete